The GSS conducts its activities on the ground and is mainly on inventory, mapping, assessment and monitoring vegetation through ground sampling techniques.
- To inventory, map, assess and monitor vegetation and wildlife and livestock habitats in the Kenya Rangelands;
- To undertake land use/cover mapping and monitoring (vegetation cover);
- To assess and monitor seasonal vegetation biomass production
- Land degradation assessment and monitoring;
- Vegetation inventory, cover mapping and monitoring;
- Land use/cover assessment with respect to plant biodiversity;
- Plant inventory and taxonomy (herbarium database development, and,
- Seasonal biomass monitoring range management and drought forecasting.