This section has been in existence since the inception of this institution. It is the custodian of all the data gathered by all the sections. The Data Management Section (DMS) has made much progress towards establishing a sustainable GIS capacity within the Department. During the last year, databases have been restructured to run efficiently on new hardware and updated software. The entire Aerial Surveys Database is now on-line allowing effective, systematic evaluation of wildlife and livestock data, analysis of environmental information (vegetation types, soil erosion and conservation status), agricultural practices and settlement distribution for the Kenyan rangelands at both district and national levels.
- To create an environmental management system;
- To develop, maintain and manage environmental databases;
- To enter and analyze data collected by the above sections, and,
- To train staff and others on GIS technology.
- System administration, database design and maintenance;
- Application of GIS and remote sensing in analysis and interpretation of data collected by other sections;
- Training in GIS and remote sensing;
Wide interest has been shown in the newly developed standard products and the five initial publications from the aerial survey database. To date five publications have been produced to summarize aerial survey data. These publications are:
- DRSRS Data Summary Report: Kenya rangeland District (1977-1994). This report is a district level statistical summary of DRSRS wildlife/livestock data.
- DRSRS Protected and Adjacent Areas Analysis. This report provides a detailed view of wildlife/livestock population in and around Kenyan Protected areas.
- DRSRS National Rangeland Report. This report provides a national perspective on wildlife/livestock populations using 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s analysis period.
- DRSRS National Livestock Report. This is a statistical summary of DRSRS livestock information at the district level for all the Kenya rangelands. The most recent livestock distribution maps are provided for each district.
- DRSRS Aerial Surveys Database. This report summarizes the methodology and products of the aerial surveys of wildlife/livestock analysis.